With over 40 million sales worldwide, André Rieu is one of the biggest classical music stars on the planet. And every year the musician, known as the King of Waltz, performs a special series of concerts in his home town, Maastricht.
Staged in the Dutch city’s historic Vrijthof Square, these extraordinary performances include toe-tapping waltzes as well as some of the best-loved melodies from the worlds of film, opera and musicals.
Our unforgettable three-and-five-day packages allow you to enjoy the world’s finest music in a relaxing atmosphere.
Stage presence: With over 40 million sales worldwide, André Rieu (above) is one of the biggest classical music stars on the planet
Fly from an airport near you, or travel by Eurostar, to attend a spectacular, specially themed concert.
Five-day packages include an evening in the company of André and his Johann Strauss Orchestra, choir, soloists and special guests, as well as visits to Amsterdam and to Antwerp, known as the diamond capital of the world.
To get you in the mood, here are some lesser known facts about the violin virtuoso, plus some must-see tips about Maastricht from the man himself.
Historic: Every year the musician performs a special series of concerts in his home town, Maastricht (above)
Like father, like son
André’s father was the conductor of Maastricht’s Symphony Orchestra, which inspired André to learn to play the violin from the age of five.
André Rieu’s Guide to Maastricht
Here the King of Waltz shares his recommendations for the home town he describes as ‘romantic, unique and enchanting’.
- Try a slice of home-made dessert at a cafe. ‘My favourite is kroonsele met sjoem – gooseberry cake with a kind of whipped cream.’
- Go for a walk around the Fort Sint Pieter. When André is in need of inspiration, he likes to take a walk around this historic site. Classical superstar or not, it’s a great place to stretch your legs.
- Explore the ancient city walls. Keep an eye out for the park next to the walls, which André describes as ‘a lovely place to take a leisurely stroll’.
- Dine at André’s favourite Italian restaurant, Il Giardino. His favourite dish is ossobuco alla Milanese.
A very special violin
André’s prized Stradivarius dates from 1667 and he has admitted to keeping it with him at all times.
Asked if he slept with it, he famously responded: ‘No, I sleep with my wife but the violin is in between.’
A starring role
The musician has guest-starred in Australia’s most iconic television drama, making a cameo appearance on Neighbours to celebrate the show’s 30th birthday.
An impressive orchestra
André Rieu established his Johann Strauss Orchestra in 1987 with just 12 members. Today it is the biggest privately owned orchestra in the world, with up to 60 members.
Despite his phenomenal success, André still has big plans. The Dutchman has ambitions to perform at the North Pole, as well wanting to be the first musician to give a concert on the Moon.
A sporting performance
André performed Shostakovich’s Waltz No 2 at the 1995 Champions League semi-final, which helped introduce the world to him.
- A ticket to see André Rieu and the Johann Strauss Orchestra, including choir, soloists and special guests, perform live in Maastricht’s Vrijthof Square.
- A visit to the city of Maastricht, with its historic heart and charming cafes.
- Trips to Amsterdam and Antwerp on the five-day breaks.
- Two or four nights’ bed-andbreakfast accommodation in a four-star hotel.
- Return travel to Holland by air or Eurostar and coach transfers.
- Services of a tour manager.
HOW TO BOOK
The dates: Selected departures in July 2020. The price: From £519 per person.
Call us FREE on 0808 239 7436 quoting reference André Rieu. To find out more, visit mailtravel.co.uk/andre-rieu.
Terms and conditions: Holidays are operated by Newmarket Holidays, ABTA V7812, ATOL 2325, a company wholly independent of Associated Newspapers Limited and Mail Travel. Prices based on two people sharing. Single supplement applies. Images used are for illustrative purposes only and may not reflect your actual holiday experience.