The world’s best amusement parks have been named by TripAdvisor in its 2019 Travellers’ Choice awards – and it’s theme parks in Florida that dominate the top spots.
Universal’s Islands of Adventure in Orlando is ranked the best by the travel review site ahead of Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom, which comes second, Universal Studios Florida in third and Disney’s Animal Kingdom in fourth. The top-rated attraction in the UK is Paultons Park, home of Peppa Pig World, which has claimed the title for four years running.
TripAdvisor also ranked water parks and Siam Park in Tenerife took the top spot for a sixth consecutive year. It is followed by the Atlantis Aquaventure Waterpark in Dubai in second and WetSide Water Park in Hervey Bay, Australia, in third. The annual rankings are determined by an algorithm that takes into account both the quality and quantity of reviews and ratings for amusement parks and water parks worldwide, gathered over 12 months. Amusement parks
The Toon Lagoon area of Universal’s Islands of Adventure in Orlando, which has been ranked the best amusement park in the world by TripAdvisor for the fifth year in a row
The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Florida, pictured, which came second on the list of the best amusement parks in the world
The entrance to Universal Studios Florida, which was named the third-best amusement park in the world
Disney’s Animal Kingdom, pictured, which is also part of Walt Disney World in Florida, came fourth in the ranking
THE WORLD’S BEST AMUSEMENT PARKS ACCORDING TO TRIPADVISOR
WORLD’S TOP AMUSEMENT PARKS
1. Universal’s Islands of Adventure – Orlando, Florida
2. Magic Kingdom Park – Orlando, Florida
3. Universal Studios Florida
4. Disney’s Animal Kingdom – Orlando, Florida
5. Le Puy du Fou – Les Epesses, France
6. Universal Studios Hollywood – Los Angeles
7. Tivoli Gardens – Copenhagen, Denmark
8. Europa-Park – Rust, Germany
9. The Island in Pigeon Forge – Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
10. SeaWorld – Orlando, Florida
11. Disneyland Paris – Marne-la-Vallee, France
12. Disneyland Park – Anaheim, California
13. Dollywood – Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
14. Leolandia – Capriate San Gervasio, Italy
15. Disney’s Hollywood Studios – Orlando, Florida
16. Silver Dollar City – Branson, Missouri
17. Efteling – Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
18. Disney California Adventure Park – Anaheim, California
19. Beto Carrero World – Penha, Brazil
20. Walt Disney Studios Park – Marne-la-Vallee, France
21. Universal Studios Singapore – Sentosa Island, Singapore
22. Fun Spot America – Kissimmee, Florida
23. Hong Kong Disneyland
24. Paultons Park – Romsey, United Kingdom
25. Universal Studios Japan – Osaka, Japan
EUROPE’S TOP AMUSEMENT PARKS
1. Le Puy du Fou – Les Epesses, France
2. Tivoli Gardens – Copenhagen, Denmark
3. Europa-Park – Rust, Germany
4. Disneyland Paris – Marne-la-Vallee, France
5. Leolandia – Capriate San Gervasio, Italy
6. Efteling – Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
7. Walt Disney Studios Park – Marne-la-Vallee, France
8. Paultons Park – Romsey, United Kingdom
9. Parc Asterix – Plailly, France
10. The Milky Way Adventure Park – Clovelly, United Kingdom
11. Blackpool Pleasure Beach – United Kingdom
12. Playmobil FunPark – Zirndorf, Germany
13. LEGOLAND Billund – Denmark
14. Sazova Park – Eskisehir, Turkey
15. Liseberg Amusement Park – Gothenburg, Sweden
16. Gardaland Park – Castelnuovo del Garda, Italy
17. Faarup Sommerland – Blokhus, Denmark
18. Le PAL – Dompierre-sur-Besbre, France
19. Clifton Park – Rotherham, United Kingdom
20. Djurs Sommerland – Nimtofte, Denmark
21. Fraispertuis City – Jeanmenil, France
22. Prater – Vienna, Austria
23. Sundown Adventureland – Retford, United Kingdom
24. Nigloland – Dolancourt, France
25. Phantasialand – Bruhl, Germany
THE UK’S TOP AMUSEMENT PARKS
1. Paultons Park – Romsey, Hampshire
2. The Milky Way Adventure Park – Clovelly, Devon
3. Blackpool Pleasure Beach – Lancashire
4. Clifton Park – Rotherham, Yorkshire
5. Sundown Adventureland – Retford, Nottinghamshire
6. Adventure Island – Southend-on-Sea, Essex
7. Crealy Family Theme Park – Exeter, Devon
8. Brighton Palace Pier
9. Harbour Park – Littlehampton, West Sussex
10. Alton Towers – Alton, Staffordshire
Globally, Universal’s Islands of Adventure in Orlando is the favourite amusement park among travellers for the fifth year in a row.
One of the attraction’s most popular rides is The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, a motion-based 3D ride. It is also home to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which includes a replica Hogwarts and Hogsmeade.
Second-placed Magic Kingdom is the world’s most visited theme park, attracting 20.8million visitors last year. Its most popular attractions include the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, Space Mountain and the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.
Third-placed Universal Studios Florida is the sister park of top-ranked Universal’s Islands of Adventure. Famous rides here include Men in Black Alien Adventure, The E.T. Adventure and Revenge of the Mummy.
The top-rated attraction in the UK is Paultons Park, home of Peppa Pig World, pictured, which has claimed the title for four years running
The Milky Way Adventure Park in Devon, pictured, – a space-themed attraction – comes second as well as being ranked 10th in Europe
One of the roller coasters at the famous Blackpool Pleasure Beach. The attraction came third on the list of the top amusement parks in the UK
Following fourth-placed Animal Kingdom in the global ranking of amusement parks is Le Puy du Fou in France, which has a history theme.
In sixth place is Universal Studios Hollywood in Los Angeles followed by Tivoli Gardens, a theme park based in the Danish capital, Copenhagen.
The top ten is rounded off by Europa-Park in Germany in eighth place, The Island in Pigeon Forge, located in Tennessee, in ninth, and SeaWorld in Orlando in 10th.
The UK’s No1 amusement park, Paultons Park, has over 70 rides and attractions including the world’s first Peppa Pig World, boasting nine Peppa-themed rides. There is also the dinosaur-themed Lost Kingdom, which is home to the Flight of the Pterosaur suspended roller coaster.
The Milky Way Adventure Park in Devon – a space-themed attraction – is the second best amusement park in the UK as well as being ranked 10th in Europe.
It is followed by the historic Blackpool Pleasure Beach, which is ranked third in the UK and 11th in Europe.
Clifton Park in Rotherham, known for its ‘toon train’ and log roller coaster, is fourth in the UK followed by Sundown Adventureland in Retford, which is especially for children under 10, in fifth.
The rest of the UK top 10 comprises Adventure Island, Southend on Sea (sixth), Crealy Family Theme Park in Exeter (seventh), Brighton Palace Pier (eighth), Harbour Park in Littlehampton (ninth) and Alton Towers (10th).
THE WORLD’S BEST WATER PARKS ACCORDING TO TRIPADVISOR
THE WORLD’S BEST WATER PARKS
1. Siam Park – Adeje, Tenerife
2. Atlantis Aquaventure Waterpark – Dubai
3. WetSide Water Park – Hervey Bay, Australia
4. Eco Parque Arraial d’Ajuda – Arraial d’Ajuda, Brazil
5. Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park – Orlando, Florida
6. Beach Park – Aquiraz, Brazil
7. Thermas dos Laranjais – Olimpia, Brazil
8. Wild Wadi Waterpark – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
9. Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park – Orlando, Florida
10. Ramayana Water Park – Pattaya, Thailand
11. Lost Paradise of Dilmun Water Park – Manama, Bahrain
12. Parque Aquatico Cascaneia – Gaspar, Brazil
13. Maya, Lost Mayan Kingdom – Mahahual, Mexico
14. Yas Waterworld Abu Dhabi – United Arab Emirates
15. Aquaventure, Nassau, The Bahamas
16. Shipwreck Island Waterpark – Florida
17. Enchanted Forest Water Safari – Old Forge, New York
18. Water Park – Faliraki, Rhodes, Greece
19. Makadi Water World – Hurghada, Egypt
20. AcquaPark Odissea 2000 – Rossano, Italy
21. Aqua Dome – Tralee, Ireland
22. Water Country USA- Williamsburg, Virginia
23. Noah’s Ark Water Park – Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
24. Hot Park – Rio Quente, Brazil
25. Black Mountain Water Park – Hua Hin, Thailand
EUROPE’S BEST WATER PARKS
1. Siam Park – Adeje, Tenerife
2. Water Park – Faliraki, Greece
3. AcquaPark Odissea 2000 – Rossano, Italy
4. Aqua Dome – Tralee, Ireland
5. Palantinus Strand, Budapest, Hungary
6. Therme Bucuresti, Balotesti, Romania
7. Druskininkai Aquapark – Druskininkai, Lithuania
8. Aquapark Aquamania – Albena, Bulgaria
9. Aqua Fantasy Aquapark – Selcuk, Turkey
10. Aquashow Park – Quateira, Portugal
11. Etnaland – Belpasso, Italy
12. Le Vele Acquapark – San Gervasio Bresciano, Italy
13. The LC – Swansea, UK
14. Aqualand Corfu Water Park – Agios Ioannis, Greece
15. Paphos Aphrodite Waterpark – Paphos, Cyprus
16. Action Aquapark – Sunny Beach, Cyprus
17. Star Beach – Hersonissos, Greece
18. Aquapark Aquacolors Porec – Porec, Croatia
19. Acqua Verde – Cefalu, Italy
20. Fasouri Watermania Water Park – Limassol, Cyprus
21. Parco Cavour – Ariano, Italy
22. Acqua Village Follinica – Follonica, Italy
23. WaterWorld Themed Waterpark – Ayia Napa, Cyprus
24. Acqua Plus Water Park – Hersonissos, Greece
25. Aquapark Flamingo – Torrevieja, Spain
Siam Park water park continues to thrill visitors to Tenerife, Spain, with its Thai architecture, winding rivers and free-fall slides
The Atlantis Aquaventure Waterpark in Dubai, which boasts over 65,000 marine animals, is named as the second-best water park in the world
The WetSide Water Park in Australia is ranked as the third-best water park in the world and is the only Australian entry on the list
The No1 water park, Siam Park, is known for its Thai architecture, winding rivers and free-fall slides. Its thrill rides include Naga Racer – a six-lane mat racing slide – while four people can climb aboard a raft to ride the Mekong Rapids.
Second place Atlantis Aquaventure Waterpark is Dubai’s largest aquarium and water park. It is set across 42 acres and harbours water coasters and shark-filled lagoons. One ride, Leap of Faith, requires guests to climb a nine-storey structure before they are shot at high speed through a temple’s core, before bursting into a clear tunnel in a shark-filled lagoon.
Third place WetSide Water Park is on Australia’s Queensland coast and visitors to the park enjoy free entry. The park has a special area dedicated to under fives. Visitors can also enjoy a light show display featuring a combination of music, water fountains, and coloured illuminations on Friday and Saturday evenings.
The Eco Parque Arraial d’Ajuda in Brazil is fourth while Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon in Florida is fifth.
Also making the top ten are Beach Park (sixth) and Thermas dos Laranjais (seventh), both in Brazil, Wild Wadi Waterpark in Dubai (eighth), Blizzard Beach in Orlando (ninth) and Ramayana Water Park in Pattaya, Thailand (10th).
Hayley Coleman, senior communications manager for TripAdvisor, said: ‘Thanks to our TripAdvisor travellers for submitting the reviews that helped us select these Travellers’ Choice winners, ranked best in the world for amusement parks and water parks.
‘Let our travellers guide you this summer and plan your next adventure to these TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice winners.’